Design for America Workshop Series
What is it?
This workshop series aims to teach the human-centered design process to the members of Makerspace Urbana and the wider Urbana-Champaign community. This will be carried out through 4 workshop on urban flooding. In these sessions, DFA students will work in tandem with Makerspace Urbana members to conduct ethnographic research, reframe a design challenge, prototype, test their designs and re-iterate them based on user feedback. The workshop series is funded by a grant from the Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Public Engagement.
The prototyping sessions will be a chance for Makerspace Urbana to mentor DFA members in the art of making things through various media such as sewing, digital prototyping, 3D printing and other skills.
The user group for the workshop series is the John Street Watershed Steering Committee in Champaign.
In Spring 2015, DFA will continue to work with Makerspace to build the product. Ultimately by Summer of 2015, the project will aim to deliver a type of installation product to be handed over the John Street Watershed Steering Committee.
First Workshop : Introduction to Human Centered Design and Part 1 : Understand
- Talk on what human-centered design is and why it is beneficial in the context of making.
- Introduction of problem statement and key issues surrounding the problem
- John St Watershed residents come to the workshop and share their experiences and problems/ be interviewed.
- Participants will view prior field research footage recorded by DFA students to get an idea of the surroundings and their problems
- All the interview sessions will be recorded by workshop hosts and be made available for review by participants at the next workshop
Second Workshop: Reframe, Synthesize and Brainstorm + SPEAKER SESSION
- Newcomers will be sent links to review the recorded material themselves if they want to
- Recap observations and develop insights into the problem
- Brainstorming sessions
- Critiquing of ideas and forming groups to prototype those ideas
- Users will be invited to critique ideas.
- Invited speaker to talk about
- design research
- how to conduct a good user testing
- collect feedback
- how to design build prototypes for testing
- Speaker will help critique the idea and mockups that the participants have come up with.
11/1/2014 ,11/8/2014, 11/15/2014 (time flexible)
Third Workshop : Prototyping
- Consists of DFA students working with Makerspace members every week in “mini-workshops” to re-iterate and build prototypes for testing
Fourth Workshop : Testing and Feedback
- Show their prototypes to John St Watershed members to get their own feedback
- Brainstorm ways to improve their designs
- Devise ways to continue with their ideas if participants feel they want to continue with their ideas.